Monday, December 05, 2005

That's Chinese!

A few weeks ago, Sven and I were watching the credits on a Miyazake film go scrolling by, and Sven pointed at the Kanji and said "that's Chinese!" Since Sven can't read English yet, I was surprised at his observation.

A couple of days later, we were at my parents house (my Mother is Chinese and my Father is Japanese), and while Sven was playing in the next room, I told my parents about Sven's observations about Kanji. Taking it one step further, my Father then wondered if Sven could tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese, i.e. the difference between the Japanese kana writing, vs. the Chinese based Kanji characters. My Mother argued that the differences were too subtle for Sven. So, my Father called Sven over, held up a package of green tea that had Katakana across the top and said "Sven, what is this?" Sven correctly said "that's Japanese!" and skipped back out of the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home