Monday, March 26, 2007

Mochi Ice cream and Math

One of Sven's favorite desserts is Mochi ice cream. Yesterday we went to a new Asian Grocery store and bought a box. Tonight when I opened up the box, I discovered that it contained 5 packages. So, I told Sven there were 5 packages and he could have one of them. Then I gave him a package of 2 mochi balls. As he was eating, he said "there are 5 packages of mochi ice cream - that's more than one for each person in this family." So I decided to try some math. I asked him "how many mochi balls in each package?" and Sven replied "two". Then I asked "if there are 5 packages of mochi ice cream, how many mochi balls are there altogether?", and Sven immediately answered "ten!" Erik and I were floored. Last time I tried multiplication with Sven, he was very resistant. Maybe they're doing word problems at school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home